Dixie Canner CPT 8000?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 24 21:25:26 CDT 2020

On 4/24/20 6:58 PM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
> Does anybody have a wp made by AES?
>
> In the late 70's, they were experimenting with voice recognition for
> their systems. We were a nearby DEC Components OEM and had a hundred or
> so LSI11/23 modules in stock.  They sent an engineer over to our plant,
> took out the whole stock, and replaced the 13.824 MHz clock crystal
> module with the output of a function generator to see how high they
> could overclock it to get the response they needed for voice
> recognition. I think they bought the 4 or 5 that passed diagnostics with
> the highest clock speed, somewhere near 40 MHz IIRC.

Some years ago, I received a Harris/AES hard-sector 8" floppy from a
friend of a newspaper reporter.  Took me forever to decode the format,
after which I wasn't able to locate the customer.

I do recall that those systems were quite popular in the newspaper
trade, however.

Here's a video documentary from CBC relating the sad story of that
Canadian tech outfit.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1890827641

--Chuck