Scanning incomplete and updated documents

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Apr 17 15:42:11 CDT 2020

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 9:02, Alan Perry via cctech wrote:

> But the really interesting thing is that the copyright date on the
> "primary" document is AFTER the date in the footers of the "inserted"
> pages.

Sometimes an update contains a replacement title page (containing the
update date), and sometimes updates supersede other updates for the same
manual.  I've seen ones that have different change dates at different
points in the manual, with the title page reflecting the date of the last
update.  Maybe you have something like that.

> So, any recommendations on what I should do?

If you can't clearly determine whether the pages you have belong to one
manual print date or two, then it certainly wouldn't hurt simply to include
both sets of pages in one PDF.  My personal goals for scanning, in
decreasing priority, are:

 1. Preserve the exact representation of a manual.

 2. Preserve the information in a manual in a usable format.

 3. Preserve the pages of a manual.

Even if you have to fall back to #3, something might turn up later that
would allow you to go back and reorganize the pages into a more useful
arrangement or into an original format.

                                      -- Dave