anybody have MOVIE.BYU?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Apr 15 13:34:54 CDT 2020

On 01/13/2017 10:57 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 01/13/2017 12:46 AM, Randy Dawson wrote:
>> The famous Brigham Young University 3D graphics program,
>> by Dr. Hank Christensen.
>>

>> I am looking for the fortran source, it should be 7 files:
> OH MY!  I definitely had that at one time - a LONG time
> ago.  I think it was on one of the DECUS tapes.
> I took a quick look at some of the backups I now have
> online, and did not find it.  A lot of stuff that I used
> to have has been junked, as it was presumed to be
> available form somewhere else.
>
> There seem to be some links under "movie.byu"
>> Any docs related too.
> I think the docs were just text files included with the
> source code.
Well, I didn't look in the right place.  I just stumbled
across what I think is the full install of BYUMOVIE
4.3 from December 1982.

If anyone is interested, I could pack it up and send it to
you. This was for VAX/VMS.  The directory contains 67 files.

Also, I have come across my own version of NASA's Mini-VICAR
program.  Mini-VICAR was a ghastly hack of their image
processing library that used pre-allocated files on a
stripped-down file system to improve performance.  So, your
files were named something like [100,103].  I took the
routines that I thought would be useful and modified them to
use ordinary Files-11 files on VMS, and used the Tparse
table-driven command line parser.  I should have published
this on DECUS back in 1982 or so, but never got around to
it. Mostly, because I never wrote documentation for it.
(177 files, mixture of macro and fortran.)

Jon