VAXmate PSU

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 02:09:58 CDT 2020

Den sön 5 apr. 2020 kl 23:53 skrev Rob Jarratt via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org>:

> [...]

When you use a variac the developed voltage on the secondary side will be
much lower due to the turn ratio of the transformer. You measured 0.4V on
the 5V line if I understand you correctly. That means approx 1/12 of
nominal output. That would then lead to 1/12 current on the secondary side
and 1/144th of the power developed. With this little power developed on the
secondary side there is no chance you can exceed the power transistor
ratings.

I do this all the time. I measure transistor current when doing this and
there are not a ten fold or so increase in current as Brent claim.

By using a variac and you can measure and study waveforms and detect
problems in driving circuits without killing the main switch transistor.
You can study actions of crowbar functions.

There are two different basic variants for SMPS mode PSUs. Forward or
Flyback. Forward are normally used in higher power designs while flyback is
lower power.

A forward mode PSU is like creating a square wave AC current and feeding it
to a transformer. In forward mode the duty cycle cannot be more than 50%
since the core need to reset before next cycle. The output will be a in
relation to the input by the turn ratio of the transformer. A forward
converter need a way to reset the transformer, either by various diodes on
the primary diode or using various bridge topologies for the switching
system. There are also filtering inductors on the secondary side.

However your PSU look very much like a flyback design. It means that the
transformer has an airgap.  It is actually both and inductor and
transformer. A flyback converter stores energy in the inductor when the
transistor is turned on and then when turned off the energy is
transfered to the load. When the transistor is switched on the current
will increase linearly in the primary winding.  This will continue until
the transistor is switched off or the core is saturated. When saturated the
current will rise sharply. This also means that the duty cycle can be
almost 100% only limited by the design of the transformer so that it does
not saturate.

Saturation is a condition you don't want to have. What could be interesting
is to study the waveform of the drain current in more detail. You need to
set timebase of your oscilloscope to a much shorter time span to in
detail study the increase of current in the drain.

The UC3842 does allow up to 100% duty cycle while the other cousins in the
same family, UC3844 and UC3845, only go up to 50%, thus made for
forward converters.

It can be interesting to investigate if the feed back circuits works as
expected. Usually one can inject lab supply voltages on the outputs and
find out if the control circuitry reacts properly. The problem with your
supply is that it is fairly complicated on the secondary side. While
reading the schematic it is not immediately clear that the op-amps will be
operating properly by feeding in +5V and +12 V backwards, unfortunately.

Then another option is to cut open the feed back path and inject a feedback
voltage from a labsupply at the input of the UC3842. You can then vary it
while there are supply voltage to the UC3842 and you can then monitor the
duty cycle of the UC3842.

If you cut away the secondary side output stage you have to bear in mind
that this is most likely a flyback design. Without any load at the output
of the transformer the energy stored in the magnetic field has no where to
go. You could get very high voltages on the drain. I suggest that you have
a load resistance over each output of the transformer. By doing this
together with breaking up the feed back loop as described above you could
monitor how the primary side is doing its switching. You should not try to
do this without a variac.

While having the output stages cut away from the transformer you could also
test the output stages by powering them from the transformer side by a
bench supply. What happens if you turn up the voltage slowly? Will the
crowbar trigger or not. Is a proper feed back voltage generated.

A lot of things to test, but one common note is that you need to study your
waveforms on a cycle basis not 100 ms/division. More like 10 us/division.

Good luck!

/Mattis