OT: Weller soldering irons

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Apr 5 18:22:49 CDT 2020

On 04/05/2020 03:32 PM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
> A few hours ago I started looking at three "smart" light
> switches that need LEDs replaced, and switched on the
> soldering iron, and ... nope. It's a Weller WP80 and it
> seems the sensor in the heating element has died.  I
> discovered that only after resetting and then dismantling
> the control unit to check it out with a DVM, of course.
>
> Clearly I need either a new WP80 element, or a new
> soldering iron.  I could get a WSP80 for far less than the
> cost of a new element for the WP80, but I'd get the
> element faster.  So which, if any, is the better iron?
> What would you guys do?
>
> I begrudge paying UKP 92 for a new element.  That's the
> cheapest I could find -- /half/ the most expensive price
> -- but just seems ludicrously extortionate for what
> amounts to a piece of swaged stainless steel tube with a
> short length of resistance wire and an even shorter length
> of thermocouple wire inside it.  I could buy a whole new
> solder station with more bells and whistles, albeit of a
> "lesser brand", for less.

Is the sensor a separate component?  On the EC1302 and
several other models, the sensor is
a separate piece that fits up through the center of the
heater and poked into the back of the
replaceable tip.  I got one for that iron years ago from, I
think, Newark.  So, you might try
at Farnell and see if they have spares.

Jon