State of New Jersey needs COBOL programmers

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Apr 5 14:40:24 CDT 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
> Good luck with that. You could have found them easily enough in the 70s
> when my folks were taking Cobol classes at the community college and
> everyone was using it. Now... woof.

Edsger Dijksta said, "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching
should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."

GUILTY as charged.

I only taught it (in community college), one semester in the mid 1980s,
when our regular colleague was on sabbatical (Jack Olson, who wrote the
book, along with Wil Price, our department chair),
https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Structured-Cobol-Programming-Wilson/dp/0030580528/
It was a good class, and I don't think that I botched it too badly.

For some types of programming, (not MY favorite types of prograamming),
COBOL is the right choice.  I hope that they don't try to rewrite that
project in C, which is otherwise MY language of choice.

VOLUNTEERS??!?  He could have at least offered to pay in TP.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com