HP vintage boards being sold as scrap

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Thu Sep 26 09:24:35 CDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019, 17:26 Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> At 02:59 PM 25/09/2019 -0500, John wrote:
> >What, isn't anyone going to speculate on the value of the gold here?  :-)
>

> The seller would seem to have been pulling rare boards from many old
> machines,
> probably scrapping the systems (since they would have been more saleable
> with
> the boards installed) then trying to sell the boards in bulk as scrap
> metal.
>
> If that's the case, I'd rather speculate on how many blows to the head with
> a blunt object, it would take to teach that person the error of their ways.

1. I've got boxes of boards that are useful, which came out of undesirable
systems, incomplete or otherwise broken systems, boards that were purchased
as spares, etc.

2. The systems are harder to ship than the boards. I doubt if you're
unwilling to have a pile of boards shipped to you, that you'd pay shipping
on a whole system.

3. Just because you have different opinions doesn't mean their ways are
wrong. Hell, they even seem to be willing to work with people interested in
single boards. I'm sure they're putting "GOLD!!!" in the title for
advertising's sake. It seems to have worked just fine for advertising here
..

4. Maybe just quit whining? If you can't get what you want where you are,
to quote the immortal words of Dave McGuire, "Time to move!"

Pat