One time, at band camp -> Re: PBXes at home

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Tue Sep 24 13:15:14 CDT 2019

> Hmmm, I think I was confused.  I think the system I saw was a #3 ESS, not a
> #5 ESS.
> Jon

Around the 1993 time frame I was at high school band camp for marching
band. We had an hour or so for lunch, so a friend and myself headed off to
the nearby Burger King.

Burger King was located next door to a GTE telephone switch facility in
Chesapeake Virginia. The facility had a parking lot, and maybe a yard
behind it with the trucks and what not. Lunch happened rapidly, and we
were talking about the telephone company building.

I had the bright idea that it's also their lunch time, and if we stand in
front of the door -- maybe we could get a tour.

With some 40 minutes to spare of our lunch, we stood in front of the door
and caught the next employee. We asked about a tour, and she said it
shouldn't be a problem but she needed to check. She had us wait in the
entrance area while she checked with the manager.

As I recall the manager wasn't available then, but she said it was fine
and she could give us a tour. She started off, but then the manager came
and was able to take over. They were both super friendly.

He took us in his office and abruptly busted out with "Why you boys so
interested in the phone company?" We explained we had BBS systems and were
into computers, he seemed to think it was cool.

We got a tour of their DMS-100 switch. My eyes were big everytime I saw a
modem wired to that puppy, behind the managers back of course. It wasn't
terribly large, they explained the building used to be full of switch but
with the modern digital one it was now less than 1/8th of the building and
the rest of the building became offices. I remember there were the line
subscriber modules and the newer ones were twice the density of the older
ones, 32 versus 64 POTS lines IIRC. And the 64 POTS lines module wasn't
that large. A lot of it was the copper wiring frames with punchdowns.

The DC power system was awesome, the whole setup was very clean. The
security was higher than I would have imagined, IIRC the manager had to
call in before opening the door.

All and all it was pretty cool.

When we were leaving the manager and the lady were waving goodbye and the
manager said "Have a good onee boys! Please don't sabotoge my switch!"

It was pretty surreal. He knew. How did he know I read phrack magazine
and ran Tone Loc?! We were 20 minutes late getting back but word had
gotten back to band director that we were getting a tour of the phone
company building. He was cool with it.