Cleaning an old keyboard

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 23 19:30:49 CDT 2019

On 2019-Sep-23, at 4:24 PM, Kevin Parker via cctalk wrote:
> I resurrected an old keyboard and mouse I like. Not wishing to gross anyone
> out but it looks like over time there was a build-up of oil etc from my
> hands etc and over time being stored away its turned to a really almost hard
> paste like stuff on both the mouse and keyboard.
>
> I've tried number of agents to clean it off but limited success.
>
> Any tips please.

Isoprop as a preferable first resort, as others have suggested.

If that doesn't do it, common TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) is good at cleaning off grimy organics.
However, best to be taking things apart so keycaps and housings (not the electronics or keyswitches) can be immersed in solution and then thoroughly rinsed.
I wouldn't want to let TSP soak into parts from a wipe-down where it couldn't be well-cleaned-out.