Vulnerabilities (Was: [Simh] Fwd: VAX + Spectre

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Sep 17 20:17:13 CDT 2019

On 9/17/2019 1:08 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>> I could easily imagine a computer science exam question "Describe in
>> one paragraph the specific design error that enabled the Meltdown
>> attack".
>
> I used to have some related questions in my microcomputer operating
> systems class.  One student (who later became my best friend and buddy)
> skipped the technical details and said, "The primary design error for
> MacOS and Windoze (sic) is that they placed a lower priority on
> security, than on being able to transparently and without user action,
> add smell-o-vision, dancing kangaroos and yodelling jellyfish."
>
> (YES, that's where I got that phrase from.)

I say the concept of a) Time sharing and B) GUI and c) 8 bit bytes
and D) the C programming language have caused computer architecture
to go to dogs ...

Lets not forget some FORTH chips have been to known to meltdown
without any attacks just unlucky coding.
Ben.
Is true the yodelling jellyfish makes me wait 45 seconds for pop up
window to open after clicking on a menu item like "OPEN FILE"?