50 yrs. ago today

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 21:27:35 CDT 2019

On 10/29/19 8:21 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> The first "internet" packet was certainly a significant event.
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Paul Koning wrote:
>> Indeed.  So "remote communication between heterogeneous computers"
>> would probably be a good description.
>
> not so sure, . . . I think that there had been others.  BUT, first with
> the IP protocol, . . .

Maybe so, likely UUCP first.  IP networks were a thing that sorta grew
as standard developed.  Either way it was well before the late 70s.

Also Aloha-net was when?  I thought that was the first wide area network
that also used radios for links.

Generally "first" works if your specific enough.  But in the old
Arpanet days if you said that on a list and were incomplete or wrong
you got your head handed to you upside down.  Sometimes gently, maybe.
;-)

Allison