Philips mini computers

nico de jong nico at farumdata.dk
Sun Oct 27 10:21:44 CDT 2019

On 2019-10-27 15:56, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, jos wrote:
>> On software side not much : a single cassette with Fortran & manuals.
>
> That is also the problem with our P856, I have a single-density FDC
> with floppy drives but no floppy based operating system.
>
> Christian

If my experience on the P800 series is anything to go by, I can offer
some kind of explanation.

The P800 series came two flavours : development system and turnkey
system. A development system was harddisc based, for example the
diskdrives X1215 and X1216, both having a fixed platter and an
exchangeable cartride. The drives had 2 x  (2.5 or 5 MB).

'The development system could use an operating system like MAS, DOM (a
very stupid name, as DOM in Dutch means STUPID), DOS or DRTM,

Then you could generate turnkey systems, where the "operating system"
could be floppy or cassette (ECMA34) based,

Turnkey systems typically controlled process equipment and the like,
where operator intervention was very limited, normally limited to
pushing a few buttons on an operator panel, or to load new programs.

/>Nico