DIBOL manual

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Oct 15 10:07:17 CDT 2019

    > From: Chuck Guzis

    > One could argue that it's just as similar to FORTRAN (cf. computed GOTO
    > and logical IF statements).

It probably worth pointing out that I never used COBOL, and have little
knowledge of it. So when one reads "it is vaguely reminiscent of COBOL, as it
has a 'Data Division' and a 'Procedure Division'", I must have copied that
all from some source I found, because I don't know what the 'Data Division'
and a 'Procedure Division' are (although I can guess from the names).

    > Where it differs mainly from FORTRAN of the times is a facility for
    > record layout

I seem to recall that COBOL was the first language with support for
structures? If DIBOL has support for them too, which would be another
similarity between the two.

	Noel