DIBOL manual

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 13 17:09:25 CDT 2019

On 10/13/19 1:29 PM, Jason T via cctalk wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 1:47 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> There's a DIBOL self-instruction book on bitsavers:
>>
>> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp8/dibol/DEC-08-WDRA-D_DIBOL_Programming_A_Self-Instruction_Manual_Sep1970.pdf
>
> A few years ago I scanned a bunch of application manuals from a
> company called MCBA.  Most of the apps are written in (or for) DEC
> DIBOL:
>
> http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/index.php?dir=%2Fcomputing%2FMCBA
>
> Somewhere I've got piles of 9-tracks tapes that most likely contain
> the software.  Maybe they'll be recovered some time before my
> infirmity.

Yup, I remember those.   At one time, Diablo Systems was going to use
those on its "Merchant" project and had even worked out a DIBOL for the
Intel 8080.

Later MCBA re-wrote the applications in DG Nova BASIC (IIRC).  At
Durango, we picked those up, wrote our own multi-user BASIC for the 8085
and 'ported the MCBA apps (AP, AL, GL, Payroll and Inventory) to our own
system.  Later, we ported our BASIC to Xenix and ran the same
application on an 80286/80186 multi-terminal box.

I still have the source code for those.

--Chuck

Sent from my digital computer