Nuke Redmond!

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Oct 7 21:01:15 CDT 2019

On 10/07/2019 12:26 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

> I hear you--I've been on Linux for day-to-day stuff for quite a few
> years, but keep a copy of XP on VirtualBox just in case.
>
> Some of the older systems that I have legacy peripherals in also require
> Windows, but it's all old versions.
>
> I recently convinced my lovely wife to make the leap to Linux.   She
> really likes it.

I've been using Linux since 1998 when I started using the
EMC program for CNC machines, which ran on a real time
version of Linux.  I quickly saw I could do most normal
things better on Linux.
I now use Win XP and Win 7 for just a FEW programs which are
not available on Linux.  One is an old but VERY good
electronic CAD package (Protel 99 SE, the 99 kind of gives
away the vintage!)
and my yearly tax filing program, which now required Win 7.
I run these as needed in a virtual machine.  First I used
VMware, but later moved to Virtual Box.

My family used Linux when here, but they have all moved out
now, one daughter has a Dell laptop that I set up with
Linux, and my wife uses Linux and they both find it works
quite well for them.

Jon