Nuke Redmond!

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Mon Oct 7 12:40:22 CDT 2019

> "In 2013, federal authorities intercepted shipments of 28,000 restore
> discs that Lundgren had manufactured in China and sent to his sales
> partner in Florida. The discs had labels nearly identical to the discs
> provided by Dell for its computers and had the Windows and Dell logos.
> “If I had just written ‘Eric’s Restore Disc’ on there, it would have
> been fine,” Lundgren said."

 No duh! Why would you fake the Dell/MS Logos? How does that help the consumer, who is so clueless they can't get restore disk on their own, vs. a label that says "Restore Disc for Dell Optiplex Blah Blah"

> I think he should not have gone to jail, this is a civil matter.
> However what he did was wrong and it badly affected the recycling
> business as a whole. Now other people are not wanting to persue
> recycled computers

I am not sure about that. It does put some more scrutiny on the business and frankly keeps the unnecessary "creativity" out. As this is a copyright infringement I believe there are both civil and criminal penalties so jail is possible (and was given). Of course the sanity of that is a whole other argument.

-Ali