HP vintage boards being sold as scrap - WON

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 11:40:09 CDT 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 8:33 PM Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> That's always mystified me too. "1000 series" for model numbers like
> 2108B, 2112B, 2113E, etc.
> Weird corporate thinking. Maybe too much printed material with "1000" on
> to change?
> Or some other company had trademarked "2000 series" ?

It was the 2100 series (actual HP part numbers), and then marketing decided
to call  it "1000 series" as a marketing name, but not for the part
numbering. "HP 2000" (and perhaps some other "HP 20nn" part numbers) and
"HP 21nn" part numbers were assigned to computers. The actual "HP 1nnn"
part numbers had already been assigned to other divisions and products,
e.g., HP 16nn logic analyzers.

The distinction between "marketing numbers" and actual HP part numbers has
caused a heck of a lot of confusion over the years. Other vendors have done
similar things.