Standard Engineering CAMAC crate controller with LSI-11

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 11:15:32 CDT 2019

Much to my surprise, there are CAMAC Crates and memory cards on E-Bay. How you would use this I don't know. When I worked at NERC we used them for many many tasks.
We had a Honeywell L66 running GCOS3. We used these to emulate Honeywell RNP707s. These were like 3780's so remote work terminals, printers, punches, readers etc.
Some of these were just local to the Honeywell and others were remote......

.. we also build 3780 HASP type workstations, with remote screens as well for access to IBM kit elsewhere. Then we had media conversion systems which for example we used to read tapes from the various experiments they carried out and copy the data to normal 9-track tape.....

Some systems had Unibus PDP/11's. Others had Q-Bus systems. The software was built on an IBM mainframe using a PDP-11 cross assembler and we had libraries to handle the CAMAC modules. Some systems had PROM loaded cards, others we loaded from Paper Tape. Some of the software wasn't reliable so we had to re-boot often

Dave