The Internet Archive

Rick Bensene rickb at bensene.com
Wed Nov 27 12:37:03 CST 2019

Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> We owe a ton of props to the Internet Archive. While they might not
have
> everything, they have a glimpse into the early days of the internet
and
> have been at it since early on.

Here here.   I very much second Ethan's sentiments regarding the
Internet Archive.

It's a daunting effort to scrape and store all that information.
Fortunately, deduplication and compression technologies have come  a
long way, and long-term, online storage of large amounts of data
processed as such has become much less expensive due to the huge
decreases in the cost-per-bit of spinning rust.

Despite all of that, it's still a lot to store, and even with these
technologies, there are costs involved for staffing, servers, as well as
continually adding storage.

Any and all support the Internet Archive can be given is well-deserved,
in my opinion.

Shameless plug:
I make regular donations to the Internet Archive, and right now, they
are have a 2-to-1 matching gift campaign going on due to pledges from
corporate and institutional donors, so if you possibly can make a
donation, head over to https://archive.org and give help support this
valuable /free/ resource.  I just made a $25 donation myself.  Every
little bit helps.

Best wishes for a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday to all,

-Rick
--
Rick Bensene
The Old Calculator Museum