First Internet message and ...

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Nov 27 10:39:21 CST 2019

On 11/26/2019 08:59 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:

> It wasn't just having the technology, it was having it and
> knowing how to market it. You need both to make a good
> product and DEC really was all about protecting their
> current market share (which is insane as they came to be
> by exploiting a niche in the computer industry).

Yup.  We were a big VAX user, and were accustomed to our
salesman and a technical guy coming out for a sales call to
iron out exactly what features and options we wanted on a
machine.  When the MicroVAX came out, for a purchase price
less than EITHER the software or hardware maintenance
contract on a VAX 11/780, I know this couldn't go on.  When
they went to the 3100/3500 Pizza box machines, I know it
REALLY was unsustainable.

Jon