First Internet message and ...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 05:52:55 CST 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 at 04:02, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Other than in very low-level MCUs, I don't see 8 bit micros making a
> comeback.  And 32/64 bits seems to be the rule for MCUs today.

You might be surprised.

E.g.

https://rc2014.co.uk/ (selling strongly, I believe)

https://www.specnext.com/ (selling umpteen thousands, 2nd kickstarter
round sold out long ago)

https://www.worldofsam.org/products/zx-uno (less well marketed, but
also doing very well)

I'm not really into the American machines (Commodore, MSX, etc.) but
they too have modern clones that are selling well. I do have one of
these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

This isn't _really_ an 8-bit but it acts like one. I have a PCB and
hope to build one up.

https://basicengine.org/

Comparable machines:

http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

http://cb2.qrp.gr/

So, actually, considering how obsolete the tech is, the 8-bit world is
in pretty good shape!