Scanning docs for bitsavers

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Nov 26 21:51:34 CST 2019

On 11/26/2019 8:52 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

> I am going through stuff in my office and found that I have some SCSI
> device docs that aren't on bitsavers. As far as multi-page documents, it
> seems as if my scanner (or its software) only does uncompressed TIFF. At
> bitsaver's recommended 400 dpi, that means about 4M per page.
>
> What should I do? Scan the docs in and find a tool to convert to
> lossless compression. Scan the docs in and just submit the huge files?
> Something else?
>
> The docs that I have are copies, not originals. Does anyone here want
> them after I scan them?
>
> alan

This would be a function of the software, not the scanner.

When I corresponded with Al Kossow about format several years ago, he
indicated that CCITT Group 4 lossless compression was their standard.

I have been using a scanner (Ricoh IS300e) that needs a driver that
doesn't install under Windows 10, so now I use it from inside a Windows
7 VM.  The software I have been using in Irfanview.

I expect it would not be tremendously difficult to find something that
would do the compression on a raw file.

JRJ