One old Sol, Two old names...

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:35:39 CST 2019

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:43 PM William Sudbrink via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I've just had the pleasure of taking a new machine into my collection, a
> Sol
> 20.
>
> It's particularly interesting for several reasons.  First, it was once in
> the possession
>
> of Jim Willing (zoom into the label next to the control key):
>

> http://wsudbrink.dyndns.org:8080/images/fixed_sol/20191125_195224.jpg
>

> For those that don't know, Jim was a very early collector of vintage
> computers
>
> and one of the first collectors to put up a web site with pictures of his
> collection,
>
> scans of documents and the like.  Also, he was one of the first posters to
> the
>
> original classic computer mailing list:
>

> http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/cctalk/

Huh, small world!  I recently got the R80 drive that came with my
VAX-11/730 running, and was able to read an image of it -- which revealed
that the VAX previously belonged to Jim (and was apparently used to run his
BBS for a time).  I've been meaning to track him down -- does anyone know
if he's still around?

(Also, nice find.  Sol 20's are fun little computers.)

- Josh