First Internet message and ...

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Mon Nov 25 13:15:06 CST 2019

Taking the risk of opening another can of worms...

ARPANET wasn't the first large scale data network.  I believe SITA HLN
was world-wide by 1969.  However it was a mix of switching technologies
from fully automated to manual depending on what part of the world you
were in.  Frankfurt was the first SITA node to transition to fully
automatic data routing in 1966.

And ARPANET wasn't the largest data network when TCP/IP was formalized
in the early 80s.  We only recognize it as the 'Internet' because of
it's lineage.

-Alan