Who changed the gravitational constant (Dec pdp11 stuff)

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sat Nov 23 08:14:29 CST 2019

> I seem to recall that when the ribbon cable is in backwards, the fault
> light comes on.

True. First cable faults hard (READY/FAULT on) no matter what. Second
cable would turn off the Fault light and allow spinup (right direction)
and ready. However when I tried to boot the drive went fault.

Dug out a third (softer, less rigid) cable, same effect. Then I
remembered I bought the controller working on Ebay some 25 years ago, so
I went through my pile to find the original controller. Plugged that in...

Drive booted to RSX11M+ 4.2. Great, I have a blown board and a good
older controller. Enough to get going....

During all of this I had a minor setback: The MSV11-QC board (the one
with 4mb of memory on it stock) failed startup diagnostics with what
looks like a stuck bit. Used an 11/23+ to verify this and find the
memory region, now I need engineering schematics for that board so I can
replace one of the 41256 memory chips. On the positive side it looks
like a pretty obvious stuck bit, just need to know which chip is at that
address and memory location....

Fortunately I had a Clearmation (I think) backup memory board that has
only 2Mb of memory. Enough to get going at least...

Never dull. At least I can boot RL02's (will check more cables and such
today) which means I can get RSX11M up and figure out what went wrong
with my Hitachi ESDI disk (it's on an MTI controller which is *super
fast). That's the gold standard, I think it's a 300mb disk in two
partitions. One has RT11 on it (boots, limited drivers), the other has
RSX11M 4.0 with all my code, games, programming languages, and so forth.
When I try to boot that it faults to ODT, which could be a disk read
failure or possibly something wrong with the monitor. RSX11M 4.0 was
exceptionally finnicky when it came to devices and maybe something is
missing and causing it to blow up....