UniBone: Linux-to-DEC-UNIBUS-bridge, year #1

Jörg Hoppe j_hoppe at t-online.de
Tue Nov 19 05:41:25 CST 2019

Daniel,

 >> Yes, can (get a kit with SMT work done)
 >
 > OK, that’s the answer I needed;
 > If I want to put one of these in a KS10, can the parity lines be
hacked from the software
 > (the KS10 uses them as two extra data bits) or are they hard-wired to
parity?

Several people asked to make UniBone PDP-10able, it should be not problem.

UNIBUS PA,PB are (like all other signals) just pins on a GPIO
multiplier, no interpretation is done in hardware.

On software side the PRU must sample 18bit instead of 16bit for DATA,
then lots of "uint16_t" must be changed to "uint32_t" in the whole
software stack.

Not clear what to do with existing device emulators: did DEC construct
18bit mutants for a few PDP-11 peripherals to run them in KS10?

UNIBUS on a PDP-10 makes only sense to me if the big pool of PDP-11
peripherals can be used directly.

regards,

Joerg