3270 controller simulation

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Nov 19 04:07:07 CST 2019

On 11/19/2019 1:36 AM, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:
> [...]
I think the Cobol Compiler came from the company we contracted with to
do languages for us @Microdata.  They were
called CSPI, something like California Software Products, Inc., in
Orange County, CA.

We payed them about 40,000 apiece for a product called Microdata Express
to write support compilers for Cobol
and Fortran.  Intended to be competitive with the Dec PDP11, and
actually was faster.  We wrote our own OS, I
was an architect with another guy of a lot of the OS.

Anyway they threw in a microcode compiler / assembler for the Microdata
3200, and also did a rework of the
EPL system language tool which the system was coded in.  It originally
was derived from McKeeman's XPL project.

He and his group were at UCLA, and contracted on the OS. (digressing a bit).

I heard that the 370 emulator company merged with, or was bought up by
the compiler operation, and the
result became MicroFocus.  The first compiler I think ran on the PC or
the AT, and with the addition of the 370
emulator, it became a tool to migrate things off the mainframe, or allow
support of distributed parts of
application systems on PCs.  Or that was what they wanted it to be.

thanks
Jim