3270 controller simulation

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:12:26 CST 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> You can say that again.  We never could get HASP running on out 11-750
> on BSD.  This was about 1984.   The Berkeley Systems Group even tried
> and no soap.    This was a leased line setup with Bell 209 modems.

I used to do that for a living between 1984-1994.  We had our own
board (68000, front-end application running out of local RAM,
VMS/RSTS/Unix app talking to our board to read/write/print files
to/from the bisync link).  I know there were apps that supposedly ran
entirely on the VAX that used dumb sync serial cards (DUP-11, etc) but
we sold a lot of COMBOARDs to people who tried that first and gave up.

We sold HASP, 3780 and SNA products.  The SNA products were a bear to
get working at different customer sites.  We had a entire chapter of
docs, meant to be printed out and handed to the IBM folks, just about
how to configure the BIND.  Our SNA product emulated a PU Type 2 and
let you connect from your local VT100 and appear to be a 3270 session.
It mostly worked once you got the BIND right.  Bisync was a _lot_
easier to configure and get working.

-ethan