Discord

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 23:02:32 CST 2019

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM Tony Aiuto via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> What would make the concept OK is if there was a federated
> identity system, such that I could post on any discord server with
> an identity based on the root one I registered at. This way I could
> have a single global identity..

Not pitching the service per se, but that is pretty much how Discord
works.  Your Discord account/login is persistent across all "servers"
(which are really just groups of channels with authority delegated to the
"server" admin).  It is true that to find you chatting in a specific
context, I'd need you to tell me the server you're on.  But I could still
chat directly with you if I knew your ID.

The scenario you describe is more like IRC.  There is no one "IRC", but
many servers on many networks, each with their own sets of usernames and
authentication methods (or, often, none at all).  So one must always say
"find me on channel #foo on network #bar."

That said, IRC Will Never Die.