Question about modems

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Fri Nov 15 15:54:40 CST 2019

Again.. I really think you are overthinking this.

MCU should set receive line coding to 8,N,1.  When in command mode, you
don't care about parity as it is presumed the connection from the host
machine to the modem is short and largely has integrity.  Every byte you
receive in 8,N,1 command mode, zero the MSB before interpreting the
character.  Also keep four binning counts of each byte received in
command mode on whether E,O,M,S space passes a respective validity
check.  Whichever bin over time has the highest count of successes vs
errors is the parity scheme you use when encoding/stuffing the MSB of
the 8,N,1 response bytes back to the host computer.

-Alan