Quantum 2080 and 540 service manuals

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 12:51:57 CST 2019

On 11/15/19 1:29 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 11/14/19 1:38 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>> These showed up on eBay, I'd been looking for them for over twenty years
>>
>> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/quantum/Q500/81-50466A_Q500_Technical_Reference_Manual_Sep1984.pdf
>> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/qunatum/Q2000/81-49218A_Q2080_Technical_Reference_Manual_Jan1984.pdf
>
> Thanks for that--I've had a Q540 in service for longer than I care to
> speculate.  Lately, it's gotten to be a little recalcitrant to start up,
> but has yielded to repeated power cycling.
>
> --Chuck

I must have about 15 maybe more of the D540s and have found them
to be the fastest seeking of the MFM drives and also near unbreakable.
The oldest is about 36 years old.  Use them in CP/M crates, DOS boxen,
PDP-11s (with RQDX2/3 controllers) and  Local swap for net booted
uVAX2000 and swap file disks on uVAXII (61K blocks is more than
enough swap space) for VMS5.44.

I've not had stiction problems... likely because I have spares!
Its a Murphy's law thing.

Allison