ge first transistors

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 14 14:27:21 CST 2019

On 2019-Nov-14, at 10:26 AM, dwight via cctalk wrote:

MOSFETs and JFETs share the same fundamental operating principle: variable constriction of a conducting channel by electrostatic forces. Their implementation details differ, essentially in the manner of achieving gate isolation.

This is significantly different than the fundamental operating principle of BJTs: current-mediated conduction.

I don't get why you'd want to put them in 3 'equally different' categories.
I see MOSFETs and JFETs in one category, BJTs in another.

Put another way, without having looked at either patent in detail, I would wonder what it was in the Lilienfeld patent that Bell had to walk around for the BJT, other than using semiconductors they don't have much in common. I would think if there was conflict, the Lilienfeld patent was extremely broad. On the other hand, I could readily see how somebody trying to patent either the JFET or the MOSFET might run afoul of the Lilienfeld patent.

Or to use your engines analogy, Id see it more as diesel(1) and gasoline(2) engines vs turbine(3) engines.
The first two have significant similarity distinct from the third.