Question about modems

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 08:40:36 CST 2019

On 11/13/19 9:17 AM, geneb via cctalk wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Jim Brain via cctalk wrote:
>
>> Did Hayes modem really do that?  I thought most later modems self
>> detected parity and speed and thus would have switched both the comm
>> on the serial port and the data sent to the other side in the same
>> parity (if the terminal was 7E1, the modem would configure as 7E1 and
>> send 7 bit data to the other side.

No, well maybe a few of the winmodems did.

Generally all the modems I have (ISA,S100 and external serial) you need
to set the baud rate, parity and word length to match the modem (is it
has at or similar protocal) and also to match the other end (usualy the
same).

My experience is fairly recent as WSTD.Cm still support dial-in terminal
or SLIP.

there are also synchronous modems, different critter.

Allison