Hewlett Packard 2601A Printer

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Wed May 29 16:22:44 CDT 2019

On May 29, 2019, at 11:33, Glen Slick wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 9:58 PM MEBA via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have an old daisy wheel printer by Hewlett-Packard, their 2601A. We got
>> this from an estate cleanout and I would like to sell it. It has been
>> powered up and the power light comes on and the carriage moves to the
>> starting position. It is a large, very heavy machine. I have it on ebay for
>> $150 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/223533138720)  but that was just a shot in
>> the dark. There is a better description and more pictures in the listing.
>> Any reasonable offer considered. I have no way to ship this item from here
>> but will drop it off at the ups store. The buyer will have to make their own
>> arrangements for packing and shipping with ups.
>>

> http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=326
>
> The 2601A was a 40 character-per-second daisy wheel printer. It was a
> wide-carriage printer that could also print on multipart forms. HP
> OEM'd this printer from Diablo (model 630). The 2601A came standard
> with an RS-232-C interface and did not offer an HP-IB option.

40 characters per second if you choose your characters and their sequencing
well.  I’m remembering them being connected to terminals and microcomputers
(HP 150, HP Vectra PC) at 9600 bps and needing some sort of flow control.
I am thinking there was a jumper on the serial I/O board that needed to be
set just so.  And yes, they are mostly Diablo 630 printers.

They’re nice daisywheel printers.  Loud enough that HP sold an enclosure.
Fancy enough that HP sold a simple tractor feed kit and a fancy cut-sheet
feed unit with two input bins.  The enclosure was big enough for either.

-Frank McConnell