IBM lifting tool

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon May 27 20:06:52 CDT 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 4:47 PM Steve Malikoff via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Evan said
> > While I'm on a roll, I saw this one randomly also - seems to have been a topic of interest to the list not long ago?
> > It's a bit short & limited in terms of load but might suit someone
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ES-3090-PROCESSOR-COMPLEX-SERVER-RACK-LIFT-TOOL-DOLLY-LOCAL-PICKUP-IN-CA/302740671139?hash=item467cc00aa3:g:idUAAOSw-YZa~D-D
> > [https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/302740671139-0-1/s-l1000.jpg]<https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ES-3090-PROCESSOR-COMPLEX-SERVER-RACK-LIFT-TOOL-DOLLY-LOCAL-PICKUP-IN-CA/302740671139?hash=item467cc00aa3:g:idUAAOSw-YZa~D-D>
> > IBM ES/3090 PROCESSOR COMPLEX SERVER RACK LIFT TOOL DOLLY LOCAL PICKUP IN CA | eBay<https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ES-3090-PROCESSOR-COMPLEX-SERVER-RACK-LIFT-TOOL-DOLLY-LOCAL-PICKUP-IN-CA/302740671139?hash=item467cc00aa3:g:idUAAOSw-YZa~D-D>
> > Used condition server rack lift dolly. Used to lift servers up and down for installation/ servicing of servers. Capable of lifting 200 pounds. In good working condition. LOCAL PICKUP ONLY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
> > www.ebay.com
>
> Wow..! that is a _really_ nice lifting dolly, looks like it folds up as well. You're right, we discussed these
> types of units a while ago, and I bodged together my PDP-Lifter http://web.aanet.com.au/~malikoff/pdp11/PDP-Lifter/
> which I used last weekend to speedily lift a rather heavy Kennedy tape unit to the top of an H960 with barely any effort.
> I looked for rack equipment lifting gear at the time but never saw anything like this. I'd say it was well worth it
> for the personal safety improvement alone.
>
> Steve

In the 3rd photo of that listing the Genie logo is visible across the
top horizontal beam. Maybe this was a standard Genie product at the
time, or maybe custom made to IBM specifications.

Their closest current product looks like the Genie Load Lifter. Looks
like those go for around $1000 or more new.
https://www.genielift.com/en/material-handling-products/material-lifts