HP/UX 8 and hosts vs DNS

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon May 27 00:25:18 CDT 2019

> > However, the damn thing won't query DNS even though I have a populated
> > /etc/resolv.conf. It can ping the name server, and if the name server's
> > name is in /etc/hosts it will resolve it (and even telnet to it),
> > but it won't talk to it for anything else.
> >
> > I'm not as adept at HP/UX before 10.20 (my first experience with the
> > OS), but I understand 8.0 "fails over" to /etc/hosts if it has some
> > issues with DNS. Fine, but how can I get it to switch *back*? There's
> > no /etc/nsswitch.conf and I don't think this version supports it
> > anyway.
>
> At the risk of showing my ignorance, how much has DNS changed since
> HP-UX 8 was using DNS?

Irrelevant here, because it's a BIND 4 server on the other end too (on
purpose since I have other older systems that need it). HP/UX 8 is also
BIND 4.

> Have you sniffed the wire to see if it's sending DNS queries and waiting
> for them to fail?

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure when to do this. By the time
I actually get a root prompt, nslookup says it's already checking hosts
and refuses to do otherwise.

-- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -----