Raised Floors

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Wed May 22 09:23:04 CDT 2019

On 2019-05-22 10:00 a.m., Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

>> On May 22, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Stefan Skoglund via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> ons 2019-05-22 klockan 08:45 +0000 skrev Wayne S via cctalk:
>>> Funny, but Halon is outlawed and having it around did seem to bother
>>> them. It was replaced with some other gas system that i can't
>>> remember the name.
>>>
>> It is a gas bottle with gas under pressure - they dont like getting hot
>> they become explosive in that case.
> Nitrogen.  I remember seeing an installation with a whole row of compressed nitrogen bottles, looking a lot like a row of welding gas tanks.  It came with major warning signs about the danger to personnel when it goes off.
>
> I think Halon is far less dangerous because it doesn't just work by displacing oxygen, though the details escape me.
>
> 	paul

It was reputed that you could breath the halon making it easier to exit
the room.  One of the big dangers from halon discharge in a room with a
raised floor was the under floor nozzles would fling floor tiles up into
the air and also raise a lot of dust.  A coworker that was in a room
during a halon dump broke a leg falling into the hole left by a
displaced tile while running for the door.  Most flooding systems gave a
warning alarm before they actually discharged and had an override so
that the automatic system could be stopped.  I was never in a room
during a discharge but I have seen video of it.  I have also heard
stories of it displacing enough floor tiles to affect the stability of
the floor leading to a collapse of the floor supports and all the
equipment ending up resting on top of cables and everything else under
the floor.

Previously there where comments made about plumbing under the floor, in
my experience it was pretty common for water cooled equipment and also
for air conditioners that used chilled water for cooling.  The current
water cooled systems I am familiar with have a coolant loop inside the
rack that includes heat exchangers that  is separate from the building
chilled water supply.  Inside the machines there are "water" blocks in
direct contact with CPUs and memory and also sometimes the back door of
the rack has a heat exchanger built into it.  Hot air exits out the back
and is cooled by the back door the intent is to reduce the load on room
air conditioning.

Paul.

Halon was banned because it was implicated as one of the chemicals that
damaged the ozone layer.  I recall one customer that had a CO2 flooding
system