Pleas ID this IBM system....

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue May 21 12:43:25 CDT 2019

No modern datacenter that I have seen still uses a raised floor *OTHER THAN* about 3 inches for a ground plane. There is a reason for that... the old idea of forced cooling under the floor and mixing power & data cables there has been found to be a truly bad idea.

Power in most any modern datacenter is via "track lighting" rails directly over the row of racks. Ex: https://www.starlinepower.com/busway/

HVAC units are generally not inside the datacenter any longer either, nor are UPS's. These cause access control issues with vendors doing maintenance and raises issues for publicly traded companies that must meet certain control & accountability standards. Not to mention locating them on the datacenter floor can cause issues with cool air routing. So these days the hot and cold aisles are alternating, with a windsock/tube above the racks for cold air delivery to the front and an 8 foot or so fan built in the hot aisle wall. This is the optimum place for particle (smoke) sensors as well. That design also lets in certain situations outside air to be used.

So to say you "definitely need a raised floor for a datacenter" is only true if you are trying to create a period replica. A modern datacenter built that way... well... not sure any self-respecting contractor would build one 'the old way' :)