Service for converting CD-ROMs into ISO files?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 5 12:28:13 CDT 2019

On Sun, May 5, 2019, 10:41 AM Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> >> So I would expect all you need to do is make an image copy of the disk.
>
> On Sat, 4 May 2019, J. Peterson via cctalk wrote:
> > I'm trying to avoid the actual task of loading the CD, waiting for the
> > computer to read all the bits, eject the CD, rename the file, load the
> next
> > CD, etc.
> > I want to send a stack of disks someplace, have somebody else do that
> 3-4
> > dozen times, and send the disks backs with a thumb drive containing all
> the
> > ISO files.
>
> 3-4 dozen??!?
> That does not sound amenable to find a service to send them to!
>
> That sounds like "hire the neighbor's kid".
> College kids will do anything for minimum wage.
> While the disk is copying, s/he/it can also type in whatever metadata is
> on the labels into a spreadsheet program for making a database.

In the past, when I needed to read 300 floppies, I wrote a script to read
to a file. It printed a number and I made a tiny label with that number and
put it on the diskette. Old then photograph the interesting ones. The
script tossed me into an editor and I transcribed the label. The script
also ran tools to try to list the dos or cpm files, saving the results. I
had to hit return to start the next one.  So I had two piles of diskettes
and I'd transfer them one to the other after reading. I'd change them
between meetings or when I thought about it.  It took weeks to get through
the 300, but there was little time that wasn't otherwise wasted devoted to
this....

Warner