Procedure to convert a vax into a stand alone workstation in a LAN

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Thu May 2 17:25:39 CDT 2019

> On 2 May 2019, at 23:16, Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Hello;
>
> In my quest to try to see what the problem is with my vs/60, I want to convert it into a networked stand-alone machine, i.e. not use clustering at all.  What is the easiest way to do this? I still want it to do DECnet and TCPIP.
>
> Carlos.

The easiest way is to turn clustering off, so if the machine’s running press the HALT button then from the Dead Sergeant prompt (>>>) do this:

>>> B/1 (or B/R5:1)
SYSBOOT> SET VAXCLUSTER 0
SYSBOOT> C

This will boot as a single node and let you log in assuming your SYSUAF.DAT isn’t on a clustered drive. If it is add this command after SET VAXCLUSTER 0:

SYSBOOT> SET UAFALT 1

This bypasses the main system authorisation file and lets you log in as SYSTEM with no password. Usually. The caveat emptor here is if the previous owners also used a SYSUAF_ALT file in which case it gets a little more complex.

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest private home computer collection?