Opening old DEC files

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Mar 22 14:54:53 CDT 2019

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 3:48 AM, Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 3/21/2019 2:50 PM, Curt Vendel via cctalk wrote:
> >> I have many DEC files that I’ve recovered from old VMS backups to a PC.
> >>
> >> Many are Word-11, ALL-IN-1 WPS and VMS Mail MAI files.
> >>
> <snip>
>
> Word-11 will be tricky.  I’m not aware of anyone having the media for that.  ALL-IN-1 is easy, if you’re running it, you can export as a MS compatible doc.
>
> Zane
>
> Someone (?) with Word11 and terminal software installed on a Rainbow could download them, open, convert and upload in asci or other usable format?  Or is that easier said than done.
> Bill

Is Word-11 available for the Rainbow?

A few years back, I *think* there was a discussion of converting Word-11 files from a RSTS/E system.  I just can’t remember any specific’s, or even if it was on this list.

In digging some more WordPerfect v5.3 for VMS can handle converting WPS-Plus documents.  I don’t know if Corel will still sell it.  I’m still trying to remember how to convert them in ALL-IN-1.

Years ago, there was a program for the Mac that would convert a TON of different file formats.  Trying to figure out what that was, I found this. I’m half tempted to buy a license, even though I don’t need it.  It would work on the XP VM I have to keep around to drive a film scanner.  I don’t see support for Word-11, but it does support MASS-11.

http://file-convert.com/flmn.htm#fmn_sf

Zane