SCSI2SD: Is it worth a try?

Richard Cini rich.cini at verizon.net
Tue Mar 19 04:54:00 CDT 2019

    	I’m using v5.1 on a PDP-11/23 with an Emulex UC07 and it works well. I haven’t tried it on any other systems though.

    	Get Outlook for iOS

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 4:32 AM -0400, "Sven Schnelle via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:15:48PM -0400, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:
> What is the experience with the SCSI2SD with old computers? It looks to be
> SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 compatible and I see a lot of reports of usage on this
> list. I am curious about how well it works and which version to get.

I own the V6 of this thing, and mostly used it with my HP9000/300 systems. In
the beginning i had some trouble with HP-UX running from it, but there were
some updates in the source repo end of last year which fixed these issues.

I never had a V5, so i can't compare.

> Versions up to 5 seem to be GPLed and reasonably available. V6 does not
> seem to have schematics or boards open sourced and I haven't seen a
> supplier for them. The web page lists some sources, but they don't have the
> V6 available.
>
> It looks like the V6 is not open because someone used the design without
> following the GPL.

It's partly open-source. The source code for the ST micro controller is open,
but the FPGA part not. Only a binary blob is in the source repository.

Regards
Sven