2.11 BSD on an 11/93 with an CMD SCSI Module

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 12:50:15 CDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:42 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Now I need a program that can move Tape data back and forth between
> real drives and tap/tpc images.  Anybody got one?

I do that on a DOS PC with a Fujitsu M2444AC 1/2-inch tape drive
attached to an Computer Logics PCTD16 ISA bus Pertec interface card
using a program I hacked up to do that. Works great if you happen to
have a Pertec interface tape drive and a PCTD16 card. But that's no
help for you.

Sticking with a DOS PC there is ST.EXE by John Wilson. I have used
that once or twice long ago and don't remember anything about using it
now.

http://www.dbit.com/pub/ibmpc/util/
http://www.dbit.com/pub/ibmpc/util/README
http://www.dbit.com/pub/ibmpc/util/st.txt

st SCSI tape utility.  Can be used to capture tape images for Ersatz-11,
among other things.  Use "st -f scsi6: iget foo.tap" to read the
entire tape at SCSI ID 6 into the file "foo.tap", suitable for use
with E11's MOUNT command.  It can also go the other way, use "iput"
instead of "iget" to write foo.tap onto the tape.  Fixed block sizes
with recordless files are also supported, like what you get with the
UNIX "dd" program.

More often I used an Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm SCSI tape drive attached to
CMD CQD SCSI controllers on Q-Bus systems. To write TAP / TPC tape
images to the EXB-8200 I used a Linux system with some code that I
hacked up to do that. Much easier than trying to figure out how to do
that on a Windows system. It's been a while since I last used that,
might take a while to find that code.