Tape reading question

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Mar 11 12:32:15 CDT 2019

If you open it up, it should have a DEI tape drive in it, which predates QIC
The data coming off the tape is NRZ instead of GCR

I just double-checked and the drive pinouts match the DEI CMTD-3400 manual
I know, it isn't obvious at all from the maint manual..

This is a problem for a bunch of systems built in the early 80's (Zilog, Onyx, etc)

I have a stack of tapes in the queue (incl an 816 tubodos tape) for me to get fixed-head 4 track reading working