IBM PS/2 Model 70 or compatible floppy drive wanted (Or help with current one?)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Jun 30 20:20:41 CDT 2019

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
> This looks like an adapter has already been installed possibly.

Yes.
Notice that that is a 40 pin card edge connector.
The "standard" (SA400, etc.) was originally a 34 pin card edge, and later,
with 3.5" became a 34 pin dual row header.

IF I remember correctly, 34 of those 40 pins correspond to the 34 pin
"standard" connector, with the other 6 being for power.
Unfortunately, for making adapter cables, MALE card edge connectors for
cables are no longer readily available.  40 years ago, IDC ones with
gold plated fingers were available, and there were very cheap 34 pin and
40 pin entender cables (popular for TRS80 to avoid connect/reconnect
cycles of the non-gold-plated Expansion Interface connectors)

If you look around, 30 years ago, there were readily available adapters
with male 34 pin card edge and female 34 pin dual row header, for putting
the "new" 3.5" drives into machines that had card edge cabling for 5.25".
One of those would work, if you can kludge a power adapter, such as
cutting off 6 pins from a scrap card edge.

And, of course, in those days, there were commercially available
after-market adapters for putting "standard" drives into PS/2.