"half-dollar"/"50 cent piece" Was: Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 12:51:49 CDT 2019

On 2019-06-29 9:15 a.m., Nemo Nusquam via cctalk wrote:
> On 06/29/19 06:39, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote (in part):
>> US currency is very confusing to me. All the notes seem to be the same
>> size and colour, so you can't readily sort them.
> Some countries also put Braille dots (besides the different colours).
> Does the US have any such plans?
>
> N.

Canada has had braille dots on its notes.  In late 2011 Canadian notes
switch from cotton/paper to plastic which makes braille dots easy and
durable.  Each denomination of note is also a different colourCanadian
coins are the same denominations as US coins and are mostly the same
size.  In Canada the five cent piece was likely called a nickel because
when the original silver 5 cent piece, that was smaller than a dime, was
replaced by a larger coin of base metal, it was nearly pure nickel.
Canada also has a 50 cent piece, but like the US they are not circulated
much.  The last time I relieved one in change was 40 years ago when
crossing the international bridge at Cornwall ON. the toll was an even
half dollar increment so when you got change for the toll gates they
gave you 50 cent pieces.  I still have one or two of them.

Paul.