DNS and Registrar

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jun 28 18:18:05 CDT 2019

On 6/28/19 4:59 PM, Seth Morabito via cctalk wrote:
> This is something of a touchy subject for me because I have been a Linode
> customer for over a decade, and have always been extraordinarily happy
> with their service.

I'm not sure how long I've been a Linode customer.  I think it's
something like six to eight years.

I've also almost always been quite happy with their service (VPS and
connectivity) and their customer service (hand holding when desired).  I
say almost because I have had a couple of things that I was not happy
with initially.  I say initially because they did realize they were
dropping the ball and stepped up their game and made me happy.

> THAT SAID: I had to stop running my own mail server about two years ago,
> after the failure rate of delivery became too high. Part of that was
> because of Google, but I'm sure another good part was due to Linode IP
> addresses ending up on blacklists.

I've heard less noise about Linode's IP space than I have other VPS
providers.

I'm successfully delivering to Google from Linode daily.  Running an
email server today is non-trivially more difficult than it was ten years
ago.

> It has been a very long time since I looked at the competition, but
> I'm very open to switching. Do you (or anyone else for that matter)
> have providers you would recommend?

I'm not aware of any /better/ options, just /other/ options.

Honestly, if I ever need to switch, I'll likely go back to a company
that I do work with that has a Co-Lo facility and host something with them.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die