Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR (among other things)

Kevin McQuiggin mcquiggi at me.com
Thu Jun 27 09:42:24 CDT 2019

In the early days of cyber crime (it was called “computer crime” back in the 1980s), fraudsters would purchase an aerosol spray with tiny metal particles in it (I forget what the specific valid use case was, but it was legitimate), and apply the spray to the mag stripe on the back of credit cards, then visually read out the bits with a magnifier.  1s and 0s oriented the tiny metal bits orthogonally, and this could be observed.  Then they would program card blanks with the recovered mag stripe data.

Mag stripe readers were expensive and hard to acquire in those days, so this was the chosen method of recovering track data from credit cards.

I was a police detective investigating “Stone Age”, i.e. pre-Internet cyber crime in that era, and saw this for myself by actually spraying a card and then reading out its data.

Very creative criminals!

Kevin