OT: the end of Dyn DNS

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Jun 26 23:05:24 CDT 2019

On 6/26/19 7:36 PM, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:
> Now that Dyn has been absorbed by Oracle I need a new DNS service
> for my vanity domain. I welcome suggestions for a replacement provider.

How many people are effected by this?

Straw Poll:  Please raise your hand (read: reply) if you are effected.

Please include any features you'd like to see in a replacement.

I see at least the following requirements:

1)  Compatibility with existing equipment.
2)  The ability to use your own domain name.
3)  Be secure.

I ask, because reviewing dyndns-server-perl [1] makes me think that it's
possible (read: not hard) to host this for other people.

1)  It seems to use HTTP's basic authentication to protect the script
(interface) that (initiates) the updates.
2)  This can be a glorified gateway into RFC standard Dynamic DNS
updates.  (Which are trivial to support.)

[1] https://github.com/mnalis/dyndns-server-perl

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die