Origins of nameless semaphores and Apple's non-support thereof

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Tue Jun 25 19:39:00 CDT 2019

I recently tripped over the fact that MacOS does not support nameless
POSIX semaphores.  When attempting to use them, I get a complaint that
they're deprecated.  I can't fathom why Apple would do that.  I found this
post explaining it, albeit not very well:
https://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-kernel/2009/Apr/msg00010.html.
It seems that Apple yanked out support, but elsewhere
(https://intfiction.org/t/macos-frotz-users/41553/5) I'm told that Apple
did it because BSD 4.4 didn't implement them.  I was fairly sure that it
did.  Does anyone have a more satisfying answer?

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org